Download for FREE in 4 easy steps...
You can also read this in Bookboon.com Premium
The Fundamentals of Construction Management is an important book invaluable to those who require knowledge on managing the construction process.
300+ Business books exclusively in our Premium eReader
- No adverts
- Advanced features
- Personal library
Users who viewed this item also viewed
Construction Financial Management
Productivity Improvement in Building Life Cycle - Development process, role-players and efficiency improvement
Managing a project across the project life span
Introduction to Wastewater Treatment
Project Scheduling Rules
Concise Environmental Engineering
Sanitation & Water Supply in Low-income Countries
About the book
The Fundamentals of Construction Management is an important book invaluable to those who require knowledge on managing the construction process. The book is based on research, contemporary construction management and management literature, and the personal work experience of the author. The book is also based on a series of lecture notes used by the author for teaching the following subjects: Management of Building Projects (University of Lagos), Construction Management I and II (Caleb University, Lagos), and Construction Management (University of Cape Town) between 1996 and 2012 (a sixteen year period).
The book seeks to provide a basis for the dissemination and assimilation of crucial knowledge central to the understanding of the construction management discipline and what it involves. Topics covered in the book include an introduction to construction management studies; theories applicable to construction management; the construction enterprise and its environment; the construction project and its environment; and construction management processes and practices applicable to small projects.
Table of Figures
List of Tables
- Common Sense, Perception, Illusion and Imagination
- Definition of Key Terms Used in Management
- The Objectives of Management
- Theories Applicable To Construction Management
- Schools Of Management/Management Theories
- Systems Theory
- Theory Of Construction Management
- Operations Research Theory
- Problems in Operational Research
- The Construction Enterprise & Its Environment
- The Construction Environment
- Types of Services/Products Provided by the Construction Industry
- Typical Business Objectives
- Typical Corporate Objectives of Construction Companies determined from Field Survey
- References/Further Reading
- Principles of Company Organization and Common Construction Company Organization Structures
- Exercise 1
- References/Further Reading
- The Construction Company as a Complex System
- The Construction Project And Its Environment
- What are the objectives of and the resources used by projects?
- Project Life Cycle and the Cycle as a Management Tool
- The Project Environment
- Overview of project procurement methods
- The Project Delivery & Production Process
- Construction Management Processes And Practices Applicable To Small Projects
- Production of a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Preparation of a Construction Method Statement
- Construction Programme
- Materials Scheduling
- Risk Analysis and Identification (Forecasting Tool)
- Budget and Cash Flow Requirements
- Project Control Techniques
About the Author
Dr. Abimbola Olukemi Windapo
Abimbola Olukemi Windapo is a senior lecturer at the Department of Construction Economics and Management, University of Cape Town, South Africa with more than twenty-five years of experience including teaching and research in the built industry. She has a PhD in Building, is a registered Professional Construction Project Manager with the South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Profession (SACPCMP), a Fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Building (NIOB), and a Registered Builder with the Council of Registered Builders of Nigeria (CORBON). She has published more than 20 articles in both international and local academic journals, presented more than 40 papers at international and local conferences, has a chapter in a book and four online educational resources.
The embed frame is free to use for private persons, universities and schools. It is not allowed to be used by any company for commercial purposes unless it is for media coverage. You may not modify, build upon, or block any portion or functionality of the embed frame, including but not limited to links back to the bookboon.com website.
The Embed frame may not be used as part of a commercial business offering. The embed frame is intended for private people who want to share eBooks on their website or blog, professors or teaching professionals who want to make an eBook available directly on their page, and media, journalists or bloggers who wants to discuss a given eBook
If you are in doubt about whether you can implement the embed frame, you are welcome to contact Thomas Buus Madsen on email@example.com and seek permission.
Norman Gedle ★★★★★
Excellent, it is going to be of a great help to those of us in SMME. Gets a five star rating. Thank you, Dr Abimbola Olukemi Windapo