Download for FREE in 4 easy steps...
This is a Premium eBook - get it free for 30 days
You can also read this in Bookboon.com Premium
For many of us, a career feels like something that happens to us, and we simply get by. But there are techniques you can apply to help you do more than just get by.
300+ Business books exclusively in our Premium eReader
- No adverts
- Advanced features
- Personal library
Users who viewed this item also viewed
Managing Your Career
Career Secrets Exposed
Setting Your Vision And Defining Your Goals
Goal Setting for Success
Planning for new opportunities
Careering Ahead - Getting by, getting on or getting ahead?
Ignite Your Career - The New Grads Bible
My Career Guide Part II - Defeat Career Setbacks and Make Your Career Dreams Come True
About the book
A 5 minute internet search or a visit to a reputable bookshop will provide an overwhelming number of self-development and career change books and resources. The great majority of them are excellent in themselves but there is now little that is new.
I decided to write this book when I realised that, when helping clients, they needed to go to a range of different sources to cover what I regard as the fundamental success factors in job search or change.
I have set out to bring together these fundamentals in a four step process that puts you rather than the process at the heart of the matter.
- What really matters to you.
- What you ideally want to do.
- What works best for you in finding that ideal.
- How to look after yourself during a challenging journey.
In difficult economic times we too often have to settle for job opportunities that are not ideal. I cannot promise to always avoid that but I passionately believe we should start the search with the aim to do much better than “be able to pay the mortgage“. Only by setting our sights higher can we hope to achieve success.
This book is written primarily to help those seeking employment job change although if you are contemplating setting up your own business and becoming self-employed the fundamentals are the same although some of the detail may need to be adapted.
By concentrating on what you need and providing a practical workbook approach I hope I have made a contribution to your success.
About the Author
About Work’s A Dream
- Your journey comprises 4 Steps
- Step 1 Delving
- What are personal values?
- Why think about your personal values?
- Defining your personal values
- Workout 1: identify your personal values
- Honouring your personal values
- Feed your passions and interests
- Workout 2: capture your passions and interests
- Work with your personality
- Play to your strengths
- Workout 3: capture your strengths
- Key points from Step 1: Delving
- Step 2 Imagining
- Workout 4: letter to myself
- Workout 5: creating “idea pools”
- Workout 6: ideal organisations
- Workout 7: creating a vision board
- The story so far
- Workout 8: what have I learnt?
- Workout 9: what are my options?
- Key Points from Step 2: Imagining
- Step 3 Realising
- Workout 10: my top 3 paid work options are...
- Reality check
- Workout 11: dissecting your options
- Review and reflect
- Visualising your future
- Workout 12: create a compelling vision
- Plan! Plan! Plan!
- Action Planning
- Workout 13: my action plan
- Key points from Step 3: Realising
- Step 4 Caring
- Facing the fear of change
- Challenging limiting beliefs
- Workout 14: turning around negative beliefs
- Improving confidence
- Workout 15: Existing confidence and improvements
- Beating the blues and staying motivated
- Workout 16: access your motivation
- Make the best of your 168 hours
- Tricks that keep you in control
- Gold Time
- Workout 17: your Gold Time
- Eat that frog!
- Most important things
- Does this make the boat go faster?
- Stop procrastinating
- Workout 18: 5 steps to beat procrastination
- Mindset matters
- Overcome set-backs
- Workout 19: get to the root of the matter
- 10 tips to keep you on track:
- Move forward
- Self-care really matters
- 4 self-care strategies to keep stress levels in check
- Workout 20: self-care plan
- Key points from Step 4: Caring
- A Final Word
- Career coaching
About the Author
The author, Michaela Partridge, has spent more than 20 years in the Human Resources profession many of them in the corporate world responsible for all areas of recruitment and selection, redundancy programmes and career transition. Since setting up her own business Michaela facilitated the creation of a London based recruitment agency; has worked on numerous recruitment campaigns assessing potential candidates to join private and public sector organisations and has worked with a wide range of candidates seeking career change either through choice or redundancy.
Michaela is also an experienced, qualified career coach and mentor assisting individuals to gain clarity, motivation and confidence in all areas of their job search. She is the co-founder of Work’s A Dream which was set-up to assist individuals either at the start of their career or seasoned professionals with their career change challenges. Her passion is to share her knowledge so that everyone can learn, grow and develop to be the best they can be.
The embed frame is free to use for private persons, universities and schools. It is not allowed to be used by any company for commercial purposes unless it is for media coverage. You may not modify, build upon, or block any portion or functionality of the embed frame, including but not limited to links back to the bookboon.com website.
The Embed frame may not be used as part of a commercial business offering. The embed frame is intended for private people who want to share eBooks on their website or blog, professors or teaching professionals who want to make an eBook available directly on their page, and media, journalists or bloggers who wants to discuss a given eBook
If you are in doubt about whether you can implement the embed frame, you are welcome to contact Thomas Buus Madsen on firstname.lastname@example.org and seek permission.
Cory A. Lavelle ★★★★★
What I love about this book is that it has its own way of putting you into the situation and you feel motivated afterwards. Great job!