3 Essential Time Management Tips for a Successful Career and Life
Time management allows you to take control of your life, reduce stress and improve both efficiency and effectiveness – as well as free up time for planning and prioritizing. This in turn helps you to be more successful in your career.
You can learn time management skills the easy way or the hard way. Experience takes time. Gaining from credible professionals is faster. Taking advantage of training sessions and eBooks is in itself a time management strategy.
Self-development is the key to success
Through books and training, you learn time management skills quickly. If you rely on experience alone, you won’t learn the lesson until after you’ve had the experience. And the problem with learning from an older, experienced co-worker is that you may also learn some bad habits and an attitude that may not serve you well.
What are the types of lessons you can learn from eBooks and courses presented by time management professionals?
Here are three of the essential ones.
- Stop saying “I don’t have enough time,” either to yourself or to others or it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It’s a lie. You have all the time there is to have – 24 hours every day. By setting goals, prioritizing scheduling and taking control of each day, you will accomplish what needs to be done.
- Never delay something that can be deleted. One problem with “To Do” lists is that many items are easily added but are seldom removed. The trivial items that never should have been added in the first place remain a distraction that can cause stress, complicate prioritizing, and make you feel overwhelmed.
- Realize that your health, not your time is your most valuable resource. Life expectancy has not increased through healthy living, but through scientific breakthroughs in medicine. Life expectancy has increased in spite of us, not because of us. Once you realize that health is a top priority and that without it, time is corrupted, you will include such things as a healthy lifestyle, adequate sleep and energy management as an integral part of time management. This is called holistic time management – the new discipline of the future.
Where do you go from here?
A good start would be to investigate the eBooks available from bookboon.com that could jump-start your time management skills. I have written a few in the holistic time management area that might help, including the following:
- Time management strategies for an ADHD world
- Time to be productive: how to develop your time management skills
- An introduction to holistic time management
- Sleep: a time management strategy
With these four eBooks, you can start to manage your time right here, right now.