How to use SmartArt graphics in PowerPoint 2013
If you are working with PowerPoint 2013, you should also have a look at SmartArt graphics. These can make your presentations stand out. Single bullet points can be illustrated nicely with this tool and you can format the graphics and personalise the presentation to your liking.
Do you struggle with nerves when you know you have to give a presentation? Get for more tips on “How to control your nerves during a presentation” on the Bookboon blog.
Let’s start with how to insert and format SmartArt. With SmartArt graphics you can illustrate a process or relationship or to simply make a boring list more interesting.
To Insert SmartArt you need to
1. Click on the Insert SmartArt icon
2. Choose the type of SmartArt to add
3. Click OK
Figure 1- add SmartArt
Once the chosen SmartArt is on the slide, you can start to add text. Simply click into the field and add headlines and bullet points.
Figure 2- Type into the shapes or into the text pane
SmartArt is a simple to use solution that allows you to be more creative when making your next power point presentation. Now that you know how to insert SmartArt, have a look at the next step.
Adding additional shapes to SmartArt
If you need more shapes in the overall SmartArt diagram it is easy to add them. You can add shapes by using the ribbon or through the text pane.
To add shapes using the ribbon
1. Click on the starting shape
2. Select Add Shape Before or Add Shape After
Figure 3- add more shapes
To add shapes using the text pane
1. Click at the end of a list
2. Press enter to get a new bullet point
3. Press backspace to promote the bullet to a new shape
4. Type in the heading
5. Press enter – a new shape will appear
6. Press tab to turn the shape into a bullet point
You can also use the Promote and Demote icons on the SmartArt Tools Design Ribbon.
Figure 4- promote or demote shapes
We hope you enjoyed this article! Now you know how to insert and use SmartArt graphics in PowerPoint 2013. These graphics help to personalise your presentations and will give them a creative touch.
PowerPoint 2013 has a lot more exciting features. All you have to do is to explore it. Aren’t you excited to discover and use these features such as how to track changes in PowerPoint 2013?
Good luck with your next presentation and don’t forget to have a look at the other blog articles for more tips:
- PowerPoint Presentations: 2 Ways to Make Them More Appealing
- 3 Simple Ways to Make a Creative Design in PowerPoint
- 8 Easy Steps on Tracking Changes in PowerPoint 2013
- How to customize your PowerPoint presentation
- How to present a PowerPoint presentation online
- How to use masters in Power Point 2013
- How to format text in PowerPoint
Download PowerPoint 2013 by Shelley Fishel from bookboon.com.