Download for FREE in 4 easy steps...
This is a Premium eBook - get it free for 30 days
Recruiting the right people into an organisation is essential. If you have the wrong people in place, your business will under-perform.
300+ Business books exclusively in our Premium eReader
- No adverts
- Advanced features
- Personal library
Users who viewed this item also viewed
Recruitment and Selection - Hiring the people you want
What do HR People do? - Understanding Organisations
Training Skills - How to improve the skills and performance of your employees
The Seven Deadly Sins of Employment - How to Avoid the Most Common Mistakes Made By Employers
Managing the Human Resource in the 21st century
Human Resource Management
From Reactive to Proactive - High Impact Strategic HR
How to Employ Your First Employee - The Ten Most Important Steps
About the book
Recruiting the right people into an organisation is essential. If you have the wrong people in place, your business will under-perform. You need good people with the right skills to look after your customers and/or make your products. This book will help you to recruit effectively, avoiding the common pitfalls. It sets out the legal requirements applicable during the recruitment process as well as best practice and some useful hints and tips to help you recruit the right person for the job, saving you time, money and effort.
If you hire in haste, you will almost certainly dismiss at length. This book will help you to recruit effectively, avoiding the common pitfalls. It sets out the legal requirements applicable during the recruitment process as well as best practice and some useful hints and tips to help you recruit the right person for the job, saving you time, money and effort.
Getting it wrong can be both expensive and frustrating. These sobering statistics give us a clue:
- Accuracy of recruiting when using interviews alone is approximately 33 per cent.
- The direct cost of recruitment is approximately £2k per person for a straightforward job. It will be more for complex and more senior roles.
- Advertising costs can be steep. They range from about £400 in local papers to £25k in Sunday broadsheets.
If you have the wrong people in place, your business will under-perform. You need good people with the right skills to look after your customers and/or make your products.
- Overview of the Ebook
- Do you really need to recruit?
- Getting the process right
- Job descriptions and person specifications
- Genuine occupational requirements
- Positive action
- Collecting data
- Criminal records and vetting
- Health screening
- Equal opportunity monitoring
- Data Protection Act
- Eligibility to work in the UK
- The interview
- Interview questions
- Assessment centres
- Reasons to recruit
- Alternatives to recruitment
- Going ahead with recruitment
- Planning a successful recruitment process
- Identify the most appropriate search procedure
- Plan the recruitment process, interviewers and timescales
- Request information on experience, skills and qualifications
- What should be included in a job description?
- What should be included in a person specification?
- Essential v desirable criteria
- Trawling the market
- What to include in a job advertisement
- Attracting the right candidates
- Don’t create opportunities for ‘bounty hunters’
- What about asking for experience?
- What are genuine occupational requirements?
- When will an employer be able to assert that there is a GOR?
- Examples of GORs
- Attracting more applicants from under-represented groups
- Positive discrimination
- Positive action under the Equality Act
- Application forms versus CVs
- To interview or not to interview?
- Criminal Records Bureau
- Rehabilitation of Offenders Act
- Vetting and Barring Scheme
- Health checks after an offer has been made
- Reasonable adjustments
- Why monitor?
- Relevant data
- Express permission
- Security of data
- The Employment Practices Code
- Checking eligibility to work in the UK
- Establishing the statutory excuse
- Knowingly employing an illegal migrant
- Employing EEA nationals
- The Workers Registration Scheme
- Non-EU workers
- Points based assessment
- Sponsorship duties
- Preparing for the interview
- Interview structure
- Stages of the interview
- Common mistakes
- After the interview
- The dos and don’ts of questioning
- Types of questions
- Reasonable adjustments for candidates with a disability
- Ensure that there is no taint of unlawful discrimination
- Psychometric testing
- Why use assessment centres?
- What happens at an assessment centre?
- Observation and feedback
- Taking up references
- What sort of thing can I ask for in a reference?
- Unsatisfactory references
- Personal v company references
- Other pre-employment checks
About the Author
Kate Russell, BA, barrister, MA is the Managing Director of Russell HR Consulting and the author of this publication. As Metro’s HR columnist, she became known to thousands, with her brand of down-to-earth, tactical HR. Kate is a regular guest on Five Live and her articles and opinions have been sought by publications as diverse as The Sunday Times, Real Business and The Washington Post, as well as every major British HR magazine and her HR blog has been rated third best in the UK. She is the author of several practical employment handbooks and e-books, the highly acclaimed audio update service Law on the Move, as well as a monthly e-newsletter, the latter document neatly combining the useful, topical and the frivolous.
Russell HR Consulting Ltd delivers HR solutions and practical employment law training to a wide variety of industries and occupations across the UK. Our team of skilled and experienced HR professionals has developed a reputation for being knowledgeable, robust and commercially aware. We are especially well versed in the tackling and resolving of tough discipline and grievance matters.
We also specialise in delivering employment law training to line managers, business owners and HR professionals, both as in-house, tailor made workshops or open courses. We provide a wide range of practical employment training, enabling new and experienced managers to ensure that they work in a compliant and ethical fashion, and gain optimum employee output.
At Russell HR consulting we will design and deliver a solution that suits your particular needs, identifying and addressing the issues in the way that best fits your workplace.
Download 15 FREE employment tools
Please visit our website www.russellhrconsulting.co.uk for information about the services we offer and to download your FREE employment tools.
Contact Russell HR Consulting Ltd
The embed frame is free to use for private persons, universities and schools. It is not allowed to be used by any company for commercial purposes unless it is for media coverage. You may not modify, build upon, or block any portion or functionality of the embed frame, including but not limited to links back to the bookboon.com website.
The Embed frame may not be used as part of a commercial business offering. The embed frame is intended for private people who want to share eBooks on their website or blog, professors or teaching professionals who want to make an eBook available directly on their page, and media, journalists or bloggers who wants to discuss a given eBook
If you are in doubt about whether you can implement the embed frame, you are welcome to contact Thomas Buus Madsen on firstname.lastname@example.org and seek permission.